Thursday, January 17, 2008

It is not a waste of time after all

I saw this interesting news story on Kotaku. A guy on his way home,saw an SUV flip over on the road. He was able to save 2 people inside by applying emergency medical procedures to them. THe funny thing is, he has no medical training whatsoever except he passed the medic certification in American's Army game. According to him, his training in the video game helped him stay calm under pressure and save 2 lives.

I have received no prior medical training and can honestly say that because of the training and presentations within America's Army, I was able to help and possibly save the injured men. As I look back on the events of that day, the training that I received in the America's Army video game keeps coming to mind."
I remember vividly in section four of the game's medic training, during the field medic scenarios, I had to evaluate the situation and place priority on the more critically wounded. In the case of this accident, I evaluated the situation and placed priority on the driver of the car who had missing fingers. I then recalled that in section two of the medic training, I learned about controlled bleeding. I noticed that the wounded man had severe bleeding that he could not control. I used a towel as a dressing and asked the man to hold the towel on his wound and to raise his hand above his head to lessen the blood flow which allowed me to evaluate his other injuries which included a cut on his head.


You know what this means guys, if we ever get trapped in a TV station in a Middle Eastern city, yall know what to do....

1 comment:

Velius said...

Yes, but where do we get all the Claymores?