Tuesday, May 29, 2007

back to normal life

As yall know, I spent my memorial day weekend in Big Island, Hawaii. One of the most exotic, otherworldly places I have ever been. It was an absolutely mind blowing experience. A full recap is coming up as soon as I actually get some sleep. I got off the plane at 8 am this morning and came straight to work. *dead*. But here is a taste:
According to National Geographic:
"Mountains are generally measured from sea level, in which case Mount Everest (29,028 feet; 8,848 meters) is king." However, "Hawaii's Mauna Kea, though, rises an astonishing 33,476 feet (10,203 meters) from the depths of the Pacific Ocean floor. Measuring from base to peak, Mauna Kea is the tallest mountain on earth."

Even counting from sea level, Mauna Kea is still an astonishing 13,796 feet. (by comparison, our own Mount Rainier runs at a height of 14,410 FT). It houses the world's largest observatory for optical, infrared, and submillimeter astronomy due to the remarkably clear sky up there.

and I was there on Saturday, on the very summit, on the tallest mountain on Earth, bundled up like an eskimo and barely breathing. IT was awesome! :)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
random thought: We were just given ShadowRun xbox and PC version. I wasn't that interested in the xbox version because my thumbing skills suck but I was highly excited about the PC version until I saw the "SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS" (notice not recommendations!)

SYstem Requirement of ShadowRun PC:
OS: Windows Vista
Processor: Dual Core CPU
Memory: 2 GB Ram, 4.5 GB free hard drive space
video card: Nvidia 7800 ATI x1800 (256 Megs or above)

ok. if you don't think that is insane, check out the small print underneath:

"Increased performance will be noticed on more powerful systems"

MORE POWERFULS SYSTEMS??? what is more powerful??? I have to freaking buy a new computer to be able to play my free game *fistshake*

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMFG those system requirements are RIDICULOUS. I was pretty excited about Shadowrun too, but if it's going to cost me an arm and a leg just to play it, I think I'll pass.

Looking forward to some cool Hawaii pics!

Tochi said...

I can't wait for the Hawaiian recap! :)

Didn't some report say, ideally, you need 4GB of RAM to run Vista? I guess that's one thing you can still upgrade. :)

Anonymous said...

ShadowRun? More like UnlikelyToRun, amirite?

Also, someone has to make the requisite "Did you get lei'ed in Hawaii?" joke, and I nominate me.

moonfleck said...

I guess the answer would be no, but I DID get lei'ed when I was in Oahu last year ;)

Anonymous said...

Geez, do you go every single year?