Tuesday, May 22, 2007

trivia night

Our invited helper this week ditched us at the last minute. So without suspense we were last place again with a whopping 22 points. The announcers recognized our team name(we have a separate name for if it was just the two of us). Even they said we did terrible haha. I tipped over my water glasses in celebration :(

Although to be honest, I think we did alot better than I imagined. We pretty much guessed through the first 4 categories. Got zeros on song lyrics (as usual) and pharmaceuticals (people's knowledge of these is kind of scary actually). The bonus was figuring out the cover band, the song and the original artist from a song snippet. We didn't do that well but it was fun to listen to the music. This is my favorite kind of bonus section. :)

So has everybody seen the StarCraft II announcements? I was watching the Yahoo reports from Korea. That nation is very obsessed with StarCraft I think. The yahoo guy was all astonished at their starcraft tv channel (which I watched when I was layover in Seoul, it is strangely mesmerizing). Anyway, I watched some of the game play video and it looks JUST like StarCraft except with better graphics and some more units so I am a little disappointed. I guess I was hoping for more innovations. But I guess they want to stick to a tried and true formula, and whatever they have now looks good. It looks like it will come out in October. The funny thing was 2 days before the announcement, a guy on our team randomly send out a email to the chat list to ask about whether STarCraft II will be mmorpg, and that sparked a whole discussion around that. Then immediately afterwards they announced it. The funny thing was it was totally out of blue email. We don't usually discuss games on the chat anyway. I guess he had a premonition about the future lol.

4 comments:

Kungfucius said...

So pharmaceuticals is a daily category? o_O I hope Velius adds that to his study list...

I'm sure Blizzard will find some innovative way to revolutionize RTSes in StarCraft 2 (I think they've yet to release a dud of a game). Hopefully they'll upgrade the 640x480 default resolution :P

moonfleck said...

Oh no! its always different categories each week. there is almost no repeats! I am not sure you can study for this lol

Tochi said...

Studying Wikipedia should be more than enough, we'll just let Velius continue with that. :)

Regardless of how well the game turns out, everyone will end up getting SC2 anyway - the Koreans will eat it up for sure.

Anonymous said...

Yes, SC2 is sadly lacking in any innovation whatsoever. Blizzard's track record might be at peril here - of note is that most of the original developers of their major hits have all gone to other companies or started their own.